Back in 1918, Walter W. Carroll started selling two sides of beef a week to Flashers Meat Market on Ashley St. in Valdosta, Georgia.
In 1932, his son, James D. Carroll, joined him in the business. That same year they purchased the land where the company sits today.
In 1935 construction of a facility was started on the site. In 1937 the company was given the name W.W. Carroll & Son.
In 1938 the name was changed again, this time to Carroll Stockyards, a name appropriate given the company's involvement
in cattle ranching.
In 1948 the name was changed again to Carroll Packing Company to emphasize the growing focus on retail and wholesale meats.
In 1965, James D. Carroll, Jr. came aboard. His brother, Walter W. Carroll II joined in 1971. In 1969 a sausage recipe
was created by Jack Knight that would become the pride of Sunset Farm Foods - the same recipe that is used today.
The company went under Federal inspection in 1975 enabling it to cross state lines with its products. This event
dramatically increased the growth rate of the company as the state of Florida was eager for the fresh
products of the company.
In 1980 the name was changed again to Sunset Farm Foods. In 1997 Walter W. Carroll II left the company as James D. Carroll,
Jr's son, Thomas G. Carroll came aboard.
Sunset Farm Foods belongs to the Southeast Meat Association (SEMA)